Skip to main content

Syzygy


I.

There is a moment, rare as a held breath, when two bodies that have circled each other for four billion years finally touch—

not touch, exactly, the moon never lays a hand on the sun, but aligns, the way a word finally finds the silence it was always meant to fill.

We call it an eclipse. The old Greeks called it ekleipsis— an abandonment, a failing. But watch the crowd gathered in the parking lot, in the field, on the rooftop, glasses pressed to their faces like they're praying to something that requires cardboard— this is not abandonment. This is a reunion.

II.

Watch the light change first. Not dimming like a dial turned down, but wrong, a color with no name, the light you'd get if you tried to remember daylight after being blind a while.

The shadows sharpen at the edges, grow long and strange, and something in the animal brain, something older than language, says: this is not supposed to happen, and stands up straight, and starts to listen.

Birds go quiet. Not asleep— quiet the way a room goes quiet when someone important walks in.

III.

And then it comes— totality— the moon's shadow, a hundred miles wide, sweeping across the ground at two thousand miles an hour, faster than sound, faster than any grief could travel, and the sky closes like an eye that's had enough of looking.

Darkness at noon.

And here is the strange part, the part no one prepares you for:

people cheer.

Not the muted clapping of a golf tournament, not the polite laugh at a joke half-heard— people scream, sob, grab the stranger next to them, throw their arms up at a sky that has just gone dark in the middle of the day,

and I think: this is the only darkness we have ever been glad to see coming. Every other dark we've built alarms against— dark streets, dark rooms, dark thoughts, the long dark of a hospital hallway at three in the morning— we flee it, we fear it, we leave a light on for it.

But this dark, this two-minute dark, we travel hundreds of miles for. We name our children after it. We stand in fields and let it fall on us like rain we've been waiting years to feel.

IV.

Look down, someone says, and you look down, and the ground is covered in moons.

Not one moon—thousands. Every gap between the leaves overhead has become a tiny lens, and each one throws the same small crescent shape onto the sidewalk, the car hood, the back of your own hand—

as if the whole earth had been quietly practicing how to hold the moon's shape in ten thousand small dark mirrors, just waiting for the one day it would be allowed to show us.

Even the shade, it turns out, was never simple absence. Even the shade was shaped like something.

V.

And I keep thinking about the sun— that huge, ungovernable furnace, that thing so bright we build entire myths just to be able to look near it—

I keep thinking that for two minutes it lets itself be interrupted. It lets a smaller, quieter, darker body stand directly in its light and take the shape of its own outline and press that shape into the middle of the sky for the whole world to see.

Not eclipsed. Not defeated. Confided in.

Because you cannot see the shape of the moon against the sun unless the sun agrees to show it. The corona flares out around the black disk like something finally exhaling— like the sun saying, here, this is what I carry, this is the shape I've held inside my light since before there was a light to hold it in, look how well it fits.

VI.

Then, the diamond ring— one bead of light breaking through at the crescent's edge, and the whole crowd gasps the way a room gasps when a name they've been waiting for is finally called.

The birds remember they are birds. The light comes back not gradually this time but like a door thrown open,

and everyone puts their glasses back on and turns their faces up again, because now the sun is just the sun, ordinary, blinding, magnificent, going on about the business of keeping us alive—

but for two minutes, in the middle of an ordinary Tuesday, it showed us the other body it had been carrying all along, and the ground was covered in small dark moons, and we stood in a field cheering for the dark,

and none of us have been the same kind of casual about the sky since.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Hold Back

My Tears. I gotta cry, now. How many times? How many times have I told you to not cry when you thought of him? Look what you've done today! I warned you to hold back the urge to drop that broken pearl necklace from your eyes. Look what you're doing now! Crying your fucking heart out the same as that day in the city where you two met? You're not even in that town now! 10000km away from where you met. 188438400 seconds have passed since that day!  Allow me cry for ten minutes please, then, I can continue to numb my mind by the endless trivialities. Physical pain is the cure to that invisible yet so much more painful chat in my mind.

Blue vs Red

Two officially compatible colors are running at your town. Who will win? The blue me or red you? The answer is easy—the one who loves more will win.  We love each other equally. The universe saw it. But what I'm loving? There's nothing there now, not a single word. The fact you enjoy being a stranger to me us is a hard fact I've learned to accept.

Aroma

At night, the aroma of Mama's food still lingered the air in the house, as if mom just cooked us a delicious meal as those countless old days. I waited for mom's call from the kitchen to ask us to eat, but no sound. I kept the light on as usual, I wrapped myself in the cotton blanket, I closed my eyes. "Mama", I whispered.   I was long for mung bean pastry, a snack I loved since the first time I ate. So I decided to make it from scratch. One important ingredient is the lard. I noticed a bowl of fatty meat in the freezer for a while. So I took it out, defrost it. When it was boiling in the water, a lot of garlic gloves and dried shrimps were separated into the water. The images of mom peeling garlic and adding spices to the meat flashed in my mind, I held the spatula to stir the meat, so that my tears wouldn't drop. Then a familiar aroma of Mama's food drifted in the kitchen. I thought of the days mom cooking in the kitchen, I breathed deeply, I felt safe in th...